Covered California health programs — as well as all healthcare plans within individuals including small-group marketplaces — come in several levels of protection: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum. As you progress up the metal tiers, the percentage of coverage increases respectively. This protection of medical coverage also applies to copays and deductibles.Plans with higher premiums generate: lower copays, deductibles, and less out of- pocket expense when something happens. Depending on how much you want to spend on a monthly premium will help you narrow down available options.

Metal Divisions

Bronze: With a bronze plan your insurance will pay up to 60% of covered medical expenses, while you pay an average 40%.

Silver & Enhanced Silver: If Individuals or families fall in a specific income bracket, they may be able to qualify for this type of plan. Enhanced silver plans generate lower copays, deductibles, and out of-pocket expense then most gold and platinum plans due to the amount of premium assistance given. The Enhanced Silver plan can pay anywhere between 70-94% of total expenses.

Gold: With a gold plan your insurance will pay up to 80% of covered medical expenses, while you pay an average 20%.
Platinum: The highest of protection of all the tiers, Platinum will generally pay 90% of your covered medical expense leaving you to pay an average 10%.

Covered California also includes an additional health plan which provides health insurance for those under the age of 30.

Minimum coverage plan:For applicants under age 30, an individual may buy additional health coverage under a minimum coverage plan. Plans start with low premiums and are aimed to cover individuals from catastrophic scenarios. This coverage plan provides for 3 urgent care visits and doctor checkups. The plan also includes substance abuse and mental health visits at no additional cost. Services not included will remain full priced until the amount of $6,850 is reached. After this amount has been satisfied all services in your given network will be covered 100%.